Pages

Sunday 1 April 2012

Heroes and Monsters



Back Cover
Heroes and Monsters is an unforgettable memoir of passion and redemption, a ragged look into a world at once wildly twisted and profoundly beautiful, an expose of both the hero and the monster within all of us.

 
In this stunningly honest, thoroughly unconventional, and ultimately hopeful book, Josh James Riebock explores issues that form us into the people we are – issues of family, love, intimacy, dreams, grief, purpose, and the unexpected stops along the journey.  With artful prose and vivid storytelling, he shows that pain and beauty are so inextricably linked that to lose the former costs us the latter.

 
If you’re grappling with life’s inconsistencies and trials, if you’re struggling for an encounter with something real, if you’re craving a story that’s just a wee bit odd…

 
Heroes and Monsters is a fresh and exhilarating perspective on the uneven nature of life and the equally uneven people who inhabit it.

 
Review

 
I was readily intrigued by this book.  While I have not read many personal memoirs, there was something about this novel that caught my eye.  Josh James Riebock’s writing in this book was absolutely fabulous.  I loved his style and wonderful use of words and imagery.  I could see the words, the pictures, and the story all unfolding right before my eyes.

 
There was one thing that threw me off a bit.  Taking into account that this is a personal memoir, and there must have been a reason behind it, I still don’t fully understand the substitution for the name of “Jesus” as “Jack”.  Or the necessity of writing at one point from God’s point of view.  To me, God is an awesome, all-powerful God who deserves our constant love and respect.  He is the Alpha, Omega, Beginning and End, the I AM.  So, to not even address the Son of God in His proper name is rather counter-intuitive in what I imagined the proposed purpose of this book is to be – a light, a beacon of truth in a world of gray. 

 
In all, I was left with mixed feelings regarding the book.  As with any piece of writing, it will affect each person differently and leave its own unique mark on the reader.


Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.  Available at your favourite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment